Thursday, July 9, 2009

On Coming Out. Part 2.

We sat face to face in the restaurant. I had told her the night before via MSN. I honestly did not anticipate the reaction from her. I carefully pick out the ones I come out to. Practically cried myself to sleep that night.


This is how the MSN conversation went. Part of it.

Me : I need to tell u something.
Bff : It must be super serious.
Me : I'm telling you this 'cause I trust you. I just want you to be on the other side with me.
Bff : I won't hate you, no matter how bad you are.
Me : Even if I am not interested in women?
Bff : Please tell me you are just kidding.
Me : Why would I joke about something like this? I'm not interested in women.

Bff : You said you had a girlfriend.
Me : Yes I did.
Bff : I think you just haven't met the right one yet.
Me : No, I've been gay for years now. Just didn't have the courage to come out as one back then.

Bff : I feel like crying. I thought all this while, you'd been living very happily.
Me : It's not ur fault! And I HAVE been living very happily, surrounded by you guys. You all made it possible, bearable for me. Please don't cry. I know you're crying.
Bff : How can you be sure? I'm sure one day you'll find your Ms. Right.
Me : You have to understand. I can't just come out publicly, people hate people like me, dont accept us. The idea of coming out is so scary that I used to tell myself sometimes that I wasn't gay.

Bff : It's impossible! Do u know how many girls are into you? My heart is so in pain now.
Me : I know it's hard to understand.
Bff : Can i share some of your pain? So that you won't suffer so much.
Me : It's not all bad. I have friends. It's not really that lonely on the other side. It's just so much more difficult when I'm walking on the line.
Bff : All the things you've been telling me...
Me : I have told lies. And I am not proud of it. Not one bit. I could run forever but I'd never be who I truly am.


Me : I'm sorry i've put u through all this.
Bff : I'm sad not 'cause of who you are. I'm 'cause you're going to suffer for the rest of ur life.
Me : Please don't think that way.


It seems like it went well. But somehow I had the feeling that she's merely feeling sorry for me. Sympathy was the last thing I wanted. What's worse was that I cared. I called her up and the line didn't get through.

..................................................................................................

In the restaurant, we looked at each other for a good few minutes before I finally broke the silence.

"Please say or ask me something. It'll get easier once you understand. There's so many things I want to share with you. And I can't do it when we're still at this stage."

Her tears started dropping.

I just went blank. Merely able to look at her at the same time trying not to stare.

This time, she filled in the gap.

"I'm not crying 'cause I pity you. I'm in tears 'cause I know you can finally be yourself again. That you told me. I want to be there for you."

Then the conversation just carried itself along. I knew it's going to be okay. The relief was undescribable. At a point she asked me, "Since you like guys, have you ever considered sex reassignment surgery?"

Another silence happened. Only this time it was followed by laughter.


p/s : she's being mother-like and very protective nowadays. i need to find myself a 'father'. everyone needs to be loved.

9 comments:

BB said...

i also like to be protected, but seems that no one is coming these few years. =( u r so lucky to have such a nice friend.

Kris said...

I'm so glad you have such great, supportive friends. It's awesome you could write about this. I can't imagine any of my friend's reactions...I'll just have to wait and see. And Congratulations!! for being so brave~~

ernloy said...

nice to read about ur experience!!!
awesome! :D

yeah, it is nice sometimes to have a break and just nap on the grass under the tree :)

ChrisZ said...

hamster me,
That makes 2 of us. Just need to try harder,I suppose. We are both blessed to have each other in our lives. =D

Kris,
Hey there,thanks for dropping by. Well,like what William commented,we have to choose well. Good luck bro!

Ernloy,
Thanks! I would do anything to get away from my hectic life,man. Napping on the grass under the tree sounds just perfect! =)

Watson said...

Hey, linked from Calvin's blog. Read this post, made me remember the day i came out, its the guy that i was attracted to. the feeling is just so...

well, that's not the point. When i read through your post, i read these sentences: "It's not all bad. I have friends. It's not really that lonely on the other side. It's just so much more difficult when I'm walking on the line."
When i read this, all by suddenly, i felt like i wanted to cry, this is what i wanted to tell one of the girls that i came out to, who she was so trying to "straighten" me up; its just i can't find the right words at that moment. Nevertheless, thank you for i know what i have to answer next time. :)

ChrisZ said...

Hey there,Watson. Thanks for the heartfelt comment. Means a great deal. =)

A friend of mine did try to straighten me back. We even ended up having a great fight. Come to think of it,it was partially my fault. I didn't prepare her well enough. That's the hard part. It takes time. Prepare them before you come out to them. It'll get easier,believe me.

Best of luck,man. =)

Watson said...

Well, the situation actually was like this:

I came out to her, telling her everything. And she accepted me for who i am, literally. Who knows after a few months, when we chatted through msn, she, all by suddenly, denied me again and tried to straighten me up. My feeling was just so mixed at that moment; they said they accept, but in the end, they never really have accpeted for who i am. She still thinks that i am just "accidentally" step into the wrong door; she sounded like i made myself a gay.

Yea, we ended up having a quarrel. Till now, most of the girls that i came out to still think that i am just playing around; siding with my lust.

Seriously, its a very natural feeling inside me~~~ i just attracted to guy, don't really know how to make them understand~~~


OOps, spoke too much, sorry there :)

Julian S said...

Warmest welcome to the blogging world. Haha...a late welcome indeed!

I could truly relate to your experience. I admire your courage in taking the very first step of coming out to your friends. It's never easy. I have yet ready for that. But, I'm very happy to find out that actually I'm not alone. I would certainly interested in getting in touch with you. My msn: julian.zh87@hotmail.com

The path is not an easy one to walk. Having friends who are supportive and understanding really helps a lot.

All da best!

Cheers,
Julian

ChrisZ said...

Watson,
It sounds to me she's not a very close friend of yours,is she? Well we have to choose very wisely. Test them if you must. See how they respond to homosexuality. It's not easy but it'll get easier.
Cheers,mate. =)

Jules,
Hey there! I should be welcoming you back to the blogsphere. You've been MIA for quite some time now. I'm not a new blogger. We even chatted before on your chatbox. Anyway,I've added you on Facebook. I seldom msn these days but see you there when I do. =)